Sunday, January 29, 2012

Blood, Sweat, and Tears...

...And this week has been full of them. It's been a great first week back to classes, but I must admit, it's been a little overwhelming. Dance with Johnny again was as painfully beautiful as it could be. My fellow classmates and I were almost incapacitated for the remainder of the week. I always enjoy the soreness that comes from working out. It seems to represent hard work, determination, and all that inspirational stuff. I think to myself, "Yeah. I can do it. I did it. I survived.". And then I feel like a fool because I'm so sore I can hardly move and every step I take forces me to wince in pain. That was this week.

I could say the same academically. My mind has been stretched to its mental limits with new material this week - as a musician, as a performer, and as a student. As odd as this may sound, the class I'm most excited for this semester is my Advanced College Essay class. Advanced College Essay is an extension of last semesters' Writing the Essay. Now, as I'm sure you've read before, I truly detested Writing the Essay. The class that all freshmen, regardless of AP standing, IB tests, gender, race, religion, etc. were required to take. I absolutely adored my professor; she was great. However, the class itself wasn't the most thought-provoking. I mean to say, I ended up writing essays about essays about essays about fish and life and death and the meaning of this world. I was just happy to be done. And then I walked into Advanced College Essay. The class is unreservedly enthralling. Last night I read an essay titled "Dwelling in Possibilities" by Mark Edmundson, and after doing so, my academic worldview seemed to flip entirely upside down. His essay raises some interesting questions about the college aged generation (my generation) today, and the endless opportunities in which we live. It was utterly fascinating. He argues that we are hungry, almost desperately so to live as fully as possible. He says, "there's a humane hunger to [our] hustle for more life", and this hunger is what makes us "appealing, highly promising - and also radically vulnerable". This vulnerability is a result of our multiple possibilities; everything is at our fingertips, and because of that, we are "enemies of closure". We cannot stand to see an option shut down, but everything in our lives must remain an open option. If you're interested, look up his essay. I highly recommend reading it. 

Rehearsal for Street Scene begun this week. I can't begin to explain how wonderful it feels to be rehearsing something again. We worked the song I'm in on Thursday night, and it was amazing. It was one of those nights. One of those dance in the rain, sing while you're walking down the street nights. New York was singing my song, and it was beautiful. 

I had Friday off, and awoke to a beautiful drizzle of rain. Drizzle is a bit of an understatement. It was kind of pouring. However, it started my day off perfectly. I made french press coffee and wrote. For any writer, reader, or literature fanatic, I don't feel the need to explain what a rainy window and a cup of coffee will do for your inspiration. I now have a substantial start on a great writing project!


Friday night my roommates and I rushed Seminar, and oh my goodness it was amazing. The entire performance was wonderful. The show is about a group of college-aged writers in a writing seminar. The seminar is taught by a writing professor (Alan Rickman) who only takes the most elite group of writers. Set in the ritzy west village apartment of one of the students, it explored a multitude of the challenges that any writer, or more generally - an artist, experiences and struggles with in their field of work. The 5 character cast did more than justice to the script. It was amazing. And at the stage door, we were fortunate enough to get the signature of each actor, (ahhhhh Alan Rickman!) and we managed to capture a few photos of him signing. It was an incredible night.

Rehearsal ensued over the rest of the weekend, leaving little to no time for homework, and involving a few too many cups of coffee. I'm sure eventually I'll get to my theory homework.

For next week, I have the exciting tale of making raw truffles, and raw chocolate chip cookies with my oh-so-lovely sister. I have pictures too, so be excited.

Emily

England countdown: 40 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.