Saturday, July 30, 2011

Misery loves company

My wisdom teeth have been extracted. Consequentially, I look {and feel} like a chipmunk. There will be no pictures of me in this post. If you ever get your wisdom teeth removed, be prepared. The procedure, while you're very, very numb and can't feel a thing, is very noisy and gross. It's not a pleasant experience in the least. For any future victims, here are the foods I've found to be most successful. Tomato soup, with crackers {although the crackers take forever to gum}; Jell-O, pudding, popsicles, and my best success yet - pancakes! They're pretty easy to eat. I hate feeling unproductive; however, the weekend off has given me plenty of time to update my blog and watch HGTV. I'm now a home and garden design connoisseur. I'm also sharing this lovely experience with my best friend, who had her wisdom teeth out the day after I did.

I'm also picking out the songs I have to sing for my vocal diagnostic on the 31st. I'm thinking "Ouvre ton coeur" - a Bizet piece, which is very pretty with an energetic Spanish dance beat. I can't decide on my second piece. Should I sing an English piece, I'd be very subject to technique critique. (hah) I've focused my summer mainly on French and Italian pieces, and I only have two decent English pieces up my sleeve. English art songs are more difficult to sing, because our minds are attached to the way we form vowels in the words we speak. The concept is very psychological; the mind has to be trained to sing "English" in an entirely different way, in order to achieve optimal sound quality and timbre. However, I almost want to sing an aria as opposed to an art song; which would be more difficult and time-consuming.

The aria of my choice would be "Batti, batti, o bel Masetto" - from Mozart's opera, "Don Giovanni"; which I also saw performed this previous weekend. It's an Italian opera, and "Batti" proves to be a very fun aria to sing. I'm pondering and memorizing this weekend, as I can't move my mouth to practice. I was invited to sing at a Jazz "gig" this Wednesday night by a local Jazz saxophone player, Kevin Young. I'd be backed by a couple instrumentalists on some classic jazz pieces of my choice. I sincerely hope I'm not too swollen to sing.

I'm getting more and more antsy to leave, although I've finally grown to love Idaho. I bought my towels and bedding for my dorm room and I'm thrilled to be on the 12th floor of Brittany {the dorm mentioned in my very first post}. My excitement is not curbed with the knowledge that I'm one of the last to leave IF. Almost every college-bound friend of mine leaves at least a week prior than I.

New blog design found at: http://www.backgroundfairy.com

Official NY Count: 27 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.