Sunday, April 7, 2013

My Roaring Twenties

Yesterday, I celebrated my twentieth birthday. I have entered my twenties, and I could not be more excited.

In a way, I'm a little intimidated. When I think upon my teenage years, I find myself disappointed in ways that I squandered time, in certain years that were wasted on trivial concerns. But I also am encouraged by how much I have grown and by the time that was not, in fact, wasted. I am encouraged when I reflect upon the knowledge I have gained, the relationships I have cultivated, and the dreams and goals I have pursued.  

With this birthday, I greatly anticipate this next year of life. I anticipate an amazing new decade with which to accomplish so much more! And it is with this idea that I've crafted a set of 20 things I want to do in my 20's, some of them trivial, some of them not. But this post is, essentially, a way for me to celebrate my entrance into a brand new stage of life. A new "Time", if you will. 

20 things I want to do in my 20's

 1. Entertain. 
Host dinner parties, be hospitable, share my time with others. 

2. Wear ridiculous clothing.
After your twenties, it's not as excusable to wear polka dot pants and absurdly high heels.

3. Find my signature cocktail. 
Something I can serve at dinner parties. 

4. Become a wine expert. 
My first two months of my twenties are being spent in Italy, after all. 

5. Fall in Love. 
Commited Love. Unconditional. 

6. Travel. 
See something new every year. See the world! 

7. Go on a missions trip. 
Share as much love as I've so graciously been given. 

8. Gain fluency in another language
Or two...

9. Start an independent study every year. 
There's so much to learn.

10. Write something. 
A novel, a column, a journal, a short story or a system of essays.

11. Land a solid, paid performance.
Perform as much as possible. Anywhere, everywhere. 

12. Obtain my Master's. 
Finishing my Bachelor's would be good, too. 

13. Buy a piano.
An old, rustic upright piano would be ideal. 

14. Dig deeper. 
I desire to stretch my mind in every way possible, learning to more fully understand different opinions. 

15. Support an organization I believe in. 
Raise awareness for something I'm passionate about. 

16. Dwell in possibility.
Read the classics. 

17. Discover my heritage.
(And what it means to me.) 

18.  Get an "adult" job.
 Something I love that pays the bills.

19. Live fearlessly.
Take advantage of adventure. 

20. Love.
Love more fully than I ever have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.