Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring break, part three: Vienna, Austria.

My previous journey to York can be found here: England!

Traveling to Vienna was not the most pleasant experience. I was exhausted and sick. Departing York at 4:45a.m. I took a car, a train and two planes to the beautiful country of Austria. And I was thrilled to be there. Did I say that Paris was my favorite city? I may have found my home. Vienna is so cozy. I absolutely fell in love with the city. And I got to speak German while I was there, which made me very happy. 

In Vienna, I met my friends Alyssa and Sara - we stayed with a friend's relatives. They were so incredibly welcoming, and it definitely made our stay worth it! Our first day there, we checked out the Naschmarkt, which is right next to the Secession building. 



The Naschmarkt has all kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables, hummus, scarves, and textiles. I bought a pair of pants. They're pretty great. I'll post a picture soon. Here's some produce. 




Vienna is absolutely filled with beautiful churches. 


This is St. Stephens. It's unbelievably gorgeous. 


While in Vienna, we ate lots of Spaetzle. 


Additionally, Vienna is big on Easter. We went to three different Easter markets. They have these beautiful hand painted eggs. There were so many of them. I was a bit overwhelmed. 



Tempted to bring them all back, it's probably a good thing that I didn't have room in my luggage, and that they were about 7 euro an egg. 


They were all so intricate. 


This egg was bigger than me. 


On Saturday, we went to Belvedere. A gorgeous palace-turned-museum. 


Karls Church:





When I decide to move to Vienna, I'll have no time adjusting to all the apfelstrudel. 


We got a tour of Staatsoper, the Vienna State Opera House. Absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see an opera at Vienna State. However, we did end up seeing Die Zauberflöte at Volksoper. It was a delightful performance. 


Hofburg Platz. 


And finally, Schönbrunn: 


Vienna was the perfect conclusion to a beautiful spring break. Despite the cold, I had such an amazing adventure discovering more of Europe. It was a week filled with loving friends and family, and I was introduced to so many new people and cultures! 

Until next week,

♥ Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.