Sunday, September 16, 2012

Facing Goliath

The first few weeks of class can be a little nerve-wracking and exciting. It's often a week of little or no homework obligations and a week of adjustment - filled with reading endless syllabi and meeting professors. A time to catch up with old friends, reminisce about your too-short summer, or stare into your empty coffee cup and wonder why you're expected to be awake and functioning at 8a.m. This year, my first couple weeks were much, much more. Diving headfirst into a busy year, I have a stack of new songs to learn, books to read and music to analyze. I feel like I'm already halfway through the semester, but it's only been two weeks. It's been an exhausting, but very productive time of work and dedication. I love my professors, and I love all my classes. Overall, I'm very, very excited for this school year. But I can't help but admit I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm working, rehearsing, studying and singing my little heart out.

I'm back to working! That's right, folks, I have dipped my toes back into retail and have almost purchased half of Anthropologie's clothes. Rehearsals for Fiorello! are going really well. They're occupying every spare moment of my time, but it's an incredibly rewarding experience. We perform September 29th and 30th - so if you're in the New York area, don't judge my shameless plug and purchase tickets here: http://www.nyuskirball.org/calendar/fiorello. :) I'm taking 10 classes this semester including acting, music history, theory and ear training, song analysis, and the like.

Friday night at rehearsal, the lyricist of Fiorello!, Sheldon Harnick, came to our rehearsal. It was the most incredible experience. If you're not familiar with his name, he's most known for his collaboration with the composer Jerry Bock. (They wrote music & lyrics for Fiddler on the Roof, and She Loves Me, just to name a couple.) He essentially added another song to Fiorello! in the second act, and so he observed our rehearsal on Friday night and was gracious enough to answer our questions about his life and the show. It was inspiring not only to see someone who had such a successful career in the industry, but also to hear his stories about writing the songs and where they came from.

I know this is just a quick update, and I apologize for skipping yet another week for posting, but it has been so busy and I haven't made enough time for blogging. My goal is to get posting every Sunday again, but it's hard because my weekly updates all sound the same. Rehearsal, work, sing, study.

I do have some exciting news, though. I've started a food blog! Follow me, tweet me, pin me, share me! http://crowleycooksandeats.blogspot.com/ It's one post so far. I have quite a few up my sleeve, though, so you can start eating vicariously through me!

Sending my love home to Idaho,

♥ Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.