Monday, December 19, 2011

Starlight, Starbright.

I was cast in Steinhardt's production of Street Scene!  I'm Mary Hildebrand, an ensemble member. The show was written by Kurt Weill, Langston Hughes and Elmer Rice. It premiered in 1946 (the same year it was written) in Philadelphia. Street Scene was written as an attempt to synthesize the traditional European opera and American musical theater, so it is commonly referred to as an "American opera". I am bursting with excitement. My last final was Friday, and I can honestly say I'm very pleased with a great semester!

On Thursday we had a master class with Jay Armstrong Johnson, a former Steinhardt student and a working actor right now. He just understudied in Catch Me If You Can, and understudied in Hair. He taught us a combination from Catch Me If You Can. If you're interested in reading a bit about him, check out this interview: http://www.broadwayspace.com/page/star-to-be-jay-armstrong. The rest of the weekend was packed full of Christmas shopping and work, and it feels so nice to be done with finals and be ready to conquer the holiday season.

On Sunday, Ben, Joe, Lauren and I met for Brunch and exchanged Christmas gifts. It was so amazing. Their presents to me were so thoughtful and wonderful. Joe gave me two lumps of coal (And a Think Coffee gift card - I was one happy lady). Ben gave me a beautiful pair of earrings, and Lauren gave me a giraffe pencil (ahhhh!), Trader Joe mini peanut butter cups (AHHHHH), paper chain pieces (haha), and a super cute owl tote bag from Strand (she's the best). After we exchanged gifts, we said our "safe travels" "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Hanukkah"s, and parted ways. Lauren and I then headed uptown and walked 5th ave checking out all the holiday windows. I was a little disappointed with Sak's windows. I thought they were really weird. The concept was "the creation of bubbles" and told this story of this land where bubbles were created. It was neat, but it was very Dr. Seuss-y to me. Macy's windows were gorgeous, as were Tiffany's. Expect a special Christmas related post this Thursday or Friday. :)


Emily


I'm sure you all know that Christmas is just 6 days away, so I'm beginning a new countdown. Days until I'm home! :)

Idaho Countdown: 13 days!

1 comment:

Talk to me.