Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rain on my parade...

I was woken by the pounding rain today. It wouldn't let me sleep. 

Today was the first day of classes! I was very excited, before I realized that I owned virtually no dance clothes and dance was my first class today. It made me very anxious for a total of 30 seconds. Then, I stopped panicking and put on clothes. It worked well. 

After my first class, I realized how unprepared for the weather I truly was. Why in the world did I leave my rain jacket and umbrella in Idaho? You're just as confused as I was, folks. The weekend was a very nice time of recuperation. A group of us went to see Memphis on Broadway. It was great. A very interesting story, and I was blown away by the voices. Afterward, we stumbled upon this beautiful piece of art in Washington Square. This man creates vibrant pictures, like the one shown here, out of colored sand. Bags and bags of colored sand, friends! 

The next day I checked out Trinity Grace Park Slope, an awesome church in Brooklyn, that my sister and her husband attend. I really enjoyed it. I loved the worship and the environment as a whole. Very exciting.

On Monday, I went on a Coney Island trip with a group of students. Coney Island was sad. I felt like it was crying. The amusement park is filled with a sense of lost glory... it seems to be a shadow of what it once was. We didn't stay long. My group walked around the beach, ate french fries, and headed home. I collected some shells while I was there, though. To finish the day off, some hallmates and I watched Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. 


I love my course load thus far. My dance instructor is amazing. He's super inspiring. I know I'm going to love the class. He's been in multiple Broadway shows, and is very passionate about what he teaches, which makes me even more excited for the class. Writing the Essay is required for all freshmen, and my teacher seems really friendly. And choir is absolutely wonderful. I was in awe at the sound of our 30-person choir on our first day. This is exactly where I want to be. 

This is the almost finished product of the art. He went around 2 more times with finishing details. Isn't it beautiful? I absolutely love this culture. Also, I got my theory results! Yay! I tested into Theory 1, and Aural Comp 2, so I actually have to wait until Spring to take Aural Skills. I'm really looking forward to Theory. Lesson learned this week: textbook prices are just as painful as you hear they are. Oooh! I also learned that Insomnia Cookies delivers. Who doesn't want a cookie delivery service to their dorm? My roommates and I took full advantage of that offer today. We made tea tonight to keep warm from the rain. Tea and cookies. 

Lovely. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so fun to read - I feel like I am following you around New York. Did the artist say what kind of art this is? It looks a lot like a modern mandala. I love it! Bryce wants to know if you got a lot of shells and she also wants me to tell you that she really wants a sea shell for Christmas..... :-) Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.