Sunday, November 20, 2011

The city wowed...

The NYU Steinhardt Vocal Performance Class of 2015 is such a wonderful group, and I'm so happy to be a part of their family. :) Our New Student Cabaret went over very well, and I'm so thrilled to be singing and performing with them! The weekend was amazing. I sang Art is Calling for Me by Victor Herbert. It's a fun song from the operetta, The Enchantress. The song is about a princess who wants to be a prima donna. It's really fun and showy. I was the first to sing after our opening group number, and my friend Ben Bartels said my song was like "eating ice cream at the beginning of the show". :) The purpose of the Cabaret is mainly to introduce us (the Freshmen and transfer students) to the way that our program trains us to build a character with motivation. We analyze who in the song is our 'other' - who we're singing to and why we're moved to sing - what it is we want and how we're communicating that. It was such a wonderful experience.

After the show on Saturday, some of us took a spontaneous trip to Hoboken. Although this picture isn't the best, the New York skyline is so pretty from where we were. After meandering a bit around Hoboken, we headed home. And what did I come home to? Possibly the sweetest thing in the world. :) My suitemate, Betty, had bought me a flower congratulating me on our performance. Unfortunately we were sold out all three performances, so my roommates didn't get to come. But basically they're all amazing, and they win best roommate awards.
Isn't this adorable?

In an awesome way, my good friend Dylan Landau collaborated our song names to a great little paragraph that I really want to share with you.

"Hey guys, I HOPE YOU CAN SEE THIS, 

ONCE UPON A TIME we all applied to NYU Steinhardt's Vocal Performance program because ART [was] CALLING FOR [us]. We thought it might be an unrealistic dream. People told us “IT'S NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT”. But HALLELUJAH! We all got in. We all travelled FAR FROM THE HOME [we] LOVE and made the transition between being ALONE IN THE UNIVERSE to singing the “la la la”'s of THE FRIENDSHIP SONG. Ever since the day MK said “COME ALL YE SONGSTERS and participate in the New Student Cabaret”, we have been working our asses off from EARLY IN THE MORNING all the way INTO THE NIGHT. And it paid off, because we were PRACTICALLY PERFECT. The audience loved us AS EVER I SAW any audience love before. THEY ALL LAUGHED at the funny parts. WHEN I THINK UPON THE MAIDENS and the wonderful guys in this program, I realize I would be happy here ONLY WITH YOU guys. IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO REALIZE that but now I understand how LUCKY I am. I'm A LITTLE BIT IN LOVE with each and every one of you. I ENJOY BEING A GIRL in this beautiful program. IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF LOVE, then we are all truly LUCKY IN LOVE. So everybody, keep DO, DO, DOing what you just did, did, did."



Missing home,

♥Emily


Christmas Countdown: 34 days!

1 comment:

Talk to me.